Sunday, January 3, 2021

Poshmark

 Hello Poshmark!

I noticed you have openings for product in core experience. And I thought that was fitting because core experience is killing me as a user. It is actively dissuading me from buying things.

So I decided to write this little thing about low hanging fruit. To be clear - I don't fancy myself a PM. I even oppose this kind of let's build every feature that falls out of my brain mentality I'm about to espouse here. But your product has SO much opportunity that I think you can afford to hold off on digging into metrics until a few of these are implemented - since they will make your customers lives so much easier.

Who am I? I love clothing. I especially love shoes. Unfortunately as a vegan who doesn't use Amazon and used to buy her 5" stilettos there exclusively I was scared every time I got a scuff....until I signed up for Poshmark. Now I'm swimming in people's cast offs. This is especially good since I try to keep my purchases of first-hand (non-consumptive) items to under $300 a year.

Kinds of purchases I want to make:

  1. Clothes that wear out but I know I want more of/ basics I'll always be looking for. (I know the size, brand. When something fitting hits my threshold I buy. sometimes I like things in advance if they aren't low enough to hit my trigger but if need arises I could go for. If there were a way to know similar items from other brands it'd be helpful.)
  2. Interesting pieces (think a great thrifting find, a unique piece, aspirational ward-robing)
  3. Things from ads I saw (the same as number one applies here)
  4. Non- clothes products (gifts, etc that I may need spur of moment and decide to check craigslist/ fb marketplace for)

I should be a fish in a barrel. So why haven't I bought more?

Shipping. It grinds my gears to pay $7 every time. And only pay less if it comes out of the pocket of the seller. I get it. USPS ain't free. But it still irks me. I know you can't make shipping free....but what if you could ease the burden? You could...

  1. Have a PoshPrem member ship where like Prime the buyers can pay a yearly fee to get free (or reduced priced) shipping on all orders. I would pay $100 yearly to get $1 shipping.
  2. Make it easier for me to find bundles!! How?
    1. In my likes - have a tab for proposed bundles. That's all the items by one seller. So I can see where I could get a bunch of items with combined shipping.
    2. Have a symbol on item cards on the search page of sellers that I have liked other items of (this is a harder engineering challenge for performance).
    3. Allow me to search for multiples by one seller because sometimes I'm looking for a bunch of basics at the lowest cost.
      1. ie a listing for 3 express camisoles at $6 is better for me than a listing for one cami at $4. Allowing sellers to list that it's more than one item in a listing is useful
      2. Finding a seller that has 6 listings for old navy soft v-necks - that way I can bundle and get lower shipping plus a bulk discount.
    4. Show me sellers that have listings for items on more than one of my saved searches - maybe in my proposed bundles? (saved searches shown below)
      1. also if this could work across likes + saved search items that'd be cool
  3. Allow me to search for members in a certain radius of me that allow pickup. This may be trickier for privacy and pickup coordination.

Finding and Cataloging the options. I'm a maximizer not a satisficer. I want to find the things I want - and I want to monitor for them incoming. Because I want the very best option.

  1. Boolean Search: people use all kinds of words to describe similar things. Let's say I want a shimmery skirt. Well of course I nav to women's skirts and my size. But then I have so many words: Shimmery, Sparkly, Metallic, Sequin, Glitter, Foil, Silver, Gold, Beaded. So now I have to make 9 searches which may have a lot of overlap. It's exhausting. the OR would make this easy. I do still need the AND to work at the same time (ex: I want a shimmery tulle skirt)
  2. Saved searches that show me new results (see streeteasy) - so I can see what's new since I was last looking for this item. How? I make a search (enter parameters, sort doesn't matter so much) and then label it. How would I interact with it?
    1. I could subscribe to emails daily or weekly about new items in this search.
    2. I could navigate back to Poshmark and select my saved search to see what has been added since I was looking. I only want to see the delta (or at least have a demarcation of new since last time)
  3. Sift through my likes better. I need to be able to compare similar items I've liked when I want to decide to purchase
    1. The regular search bar available on my likes page
    2.  Folders for grouping of items
      1. Some kind of linking of items that are the same item (usually I'd buy the cheaper one but what if the more expensive one can be bundled thus bringing down the cost or the seller offers me a private discount?)
      2. Also allow my saved searches to be linked to the likes folders. IE: if I like something from saved search A it goes into the like folder attached to that saved search. I'd like to have multiple searches attached to a like folder (see the example from boolean search)

Fit - if it's not something I already own how do I know it'll fit? I think the thing to do here is socialization - help poshers from both sides to understand how to measure. I know measuring my body doesn't work for me; I lay out clothing I already like the fit of and measure that. That's worked well for me. Also having pictures of the clothing on a real person has helped me know if it'll fit me.

Socialization - Shopping is a social activity for so many people. I want to be able to find my IRL friends on Poshmark and see what they're looking at - talk to them about it, maybe even buy it for them. During the early pandemic I made a decision as Maid of Honor (when we couldn't go get fitted for bridesmaids' dresses but we thought the wedding would still happen) that all of us would buy a specific brand and color dress off Poshmark. It was such a hassle to send links to each other over email and text - if we could have been part of a Poshmark group and seen what each other were buying in advance that'd been nice.

Clutter - It's hard to sift through everything. But adding in clutter? That just makes me numb to the stuff I may actually want and be able to buy.

  1. How do I unsubscribe from parties? It feels like one of my old acquaintances is selling me some pyramid scheme beauty thing. I tried to block the Poshmark editor. didn't work. It just adds clutter to my newsfeed. I don't care about some rando's opinion. If I can have a Poshmark party with my friends I'm into it.
  2. Tabs in my likes of unavailable items vs available. This is pretty self explanatory - if you're using my likes to make a profile for me to be able to suggest what I like in the future then I want to keep it liked but if it's sold I don't want it to clutter my decision making space. Maybe this would be solved by having search function on my likes.
  3. Lots of items are not really there - I try to look at the date last updated/ or comment dates by the OP but several times I've ordered and then radio silence from the seller until Poshmark refunds me. Do something to make sure the sellers are still monitoring and have the items they have for sale.

Lastly, here's pie in the sky what ifs:

Upload my Pinterest folders about clothes and see what pictures for items are similar on Poshmark - maybe my dream items are just waiting around the corner. (reverse image search)

The app sees what I liked prior and finds similar items over time using predictive analytics.

Also using those image processing to tell sellers when they've taken a bad photo of an item (or at least which photo should be the front image (a dating site did this at one point by swapping the default image and measuring the number of interactions)

No comments:

Post a Comment